To provide the free tools, information and resources needed to keep our lives on track while meeting the challenges of medical and other emergencies, serious illness, living with disabilities, care giving, elder care, and end of life planning. To offer a forum to share our experiences, advice, and helpful hints to assist each other in dealing with the difficult events in our lives.
Prior to creating the Living Smart Guides, Deb worked in the financial services industry including serving as Senior Vice President and Chief Investment Officer of The Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company and Owner of private equity firm Dillon Investments, Inc. Deb closed Dillon Investments as part of her end of life preparations after being diagnosed with a brain tumor that was expected to end her life. Once it was apparent that Deb beat the odds, she recruited experts in the various fields addressed by Living Smart Guides to create comprehensive, easy to use tools to make it easier for us to give or get the help needed when faced with life's most difficult challenges.
- Dr. David Allen: Physician and former Commissioner of Health for the Commonwealth of Kentucky and former staff member of the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Tonya Cook: Chief Development Officer of Gilda’s Club Louisville. Tonya sees the challenges faced by cancer patients and their families every day as well as the importance of finding practical ways to deal with its impact on day to day life.
- Patty Dissell: Executive Director of Senior Care Experts, largest senior care non-profit organization in Kentucky specializing in providing the tools necessary for the elderly to maintain their independence and remain in their homes. Prior to her work with Senior Care Experts, Ms. Dissell was Executive Director of the Spinal Bifida Foundation in Kentucky for nearly a decade and has extensive knowledge and experience with the struggle to care for disabled children.
- Phyllis Fitzgerald: Expert on Aging, Certified Home Economist, Newspaper Columnist and Television Host. Ms. Fitzgerald is also an educator and currently teaches a course on the Journey of Aging.
- Mary Gatton: Hospice Social Worker for over three decades. Ms. Gatton works directly with the terminal patients and their families to design end of life care that specifically meets the needs of each patient to make their passage as dignified and humane as possible.
- Judy Goodwin: Vice President of Family and Educational Programming for Parents Without Partners. Ms. Goodwin is a single parent and has worked with Parents Without Partners for several decades so she knows firsthand the many challenges of being a single parent.
- Candice Medina: President of CGM Associates Management Consultants with clients including Microsoft, GE, ADP and Sealy Posterpedic; Executive Director of The Gilbert Foundation and Co-Founder of the Louisville Youth Philanthropy Council.
- Robert B. Slosberg: Rabbi and Columbia University Masters Graduate with over 30 years of experience assisting families in crisis.
- Steve Steurer: Small Business and E-Business Entrepreneur, Social Media and Online Marketing Expert and Owner of three on-line businesses.